Announcement: The Archives are moving, service reduced
November 21, 2014
As of March 31, 2015, the Archives will move to a new location due to the sale of the Iona Building to the University of British Columbia. Announcement of the building sale was made on January 7, 2014.
Both The United Church of Canada and BC Conference regret the loss of this building. It has been a symbol of higher education and church leadership training since its construction in 1927. VST will be able to continue its work with strong financial backing thanks to the large endowment created by the sale.
As the search continues for a permanent, modern facility with appropriate accessibility, the BC Conference Archives will be housed temporarily at Ryerson United Church Memorial Centre, 2195 West 45th Ave, Vancouver.
During the move, there will be a few disruptions to service:
- The Archives will be closed to the public between January 15th and April 2nd. During this time, telephone/email responses and appointment requests will be extremely limited.
- Only one-third of the total archival collection will be readily accessible at this temporary location. The remainder will be kept off-site in secure storage and will not be accessible to the public. Imagine a scaled-down storefront with limited product.
- While in the temporary location, the Archives will not accept record transfers due to the reduction in space. Acceptance of record transfers will resume when the Archives successfully moves into a permanent facility.
- Church office staff are asked to hold onto current/active records and archival materials. To deal with overflow, consult the Sample Records Schedule for Congregations for guidance on which records are eligible for destruction.
Should you wish to transfer your records before the January 15th deadline, please consult the What the Archives Want guide and use the Archives Transfer Form.
- New phone number and email address for the Archives will be announced in March 2015.
BC Conference is happy to have archivist, Blair Galston, continue in his position and assist in this smooth transition.
Other notices sent about this move: January 14, 2015